Monday, February 8, 2010

Peace that passeth understanding

If you're a parent, you know the look -- that cherubic expression on a child's face when they are asleep. A sort of smile that says all is well.

I saw it pass over my daughter's face tonight, and, for some reason, the phrase, "peace that passeth understanding" leaped into my mind.

The expression comes from Philippians 4:6-7: "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."

I think that child-like contentment is the peace Paul is talking about. The knowledge that when I'm unaware of all the things swirling about me, and even when I am, I rest comfortably, peacefully ... past all understanding.

May you rest easy now -- peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment