Thursday, February 4, 2010

More football

Blame it on the Super Bowl, but I seem to be stuck in a rut of ideas centering around football. I even put this post off a bit to try and break things up. No luck.

By now, it seems almost certain you've heard about the Super Bowl ad involving Tim Tebow and his mother promoting the fact that she did not have Tim aborted as doctors suggested after a being diagnosed with a medical condition.

Now, just for the record, put me down in the camp of people who have grown really tired of hearing how great Tim Tebow is, on the field or off. But also put me down for the camp that appreciates his honesty when it comes to faith and what he believes in.

An Associated Press article about this "controversial commercial" last week had a couple of quotes from people that rubbed me the wrong way, so here goes my latest rant:

Terry O’Neill, the president of the National Organization for Women, said she had respect for the private choices made by women such as Pam Tebow but condemned the planned ad as "extraordinarily offensive and demeaning."
"That’s not being respectful of other people’s lives," O’Neill said. "It is offensive to hold one way out as being a superior way over everybody else’s."


This just drives me nuts. Nobody's right and nobody's wrong, except the people who claim to be right, who are then declared wrong.

But hey, you want to throw yourself off a cliff? Go ahead. I don't think that's right, but if I try and stop you, I'm being disrespectful and demeaning. So have a nice fall!

OK, and one more quote:
A national columnist for CBSSports.com, Gregg Doyel, also objected to the CBS decision to show the ad, specifically because it would air on Super Sunday.

“If you’re a sports fan, and I am, that’s the holiest day of the year,” he wrote. “It’s not a day to discuss abortion. For it, against it, I don’t care what you are. On Super Sunday, I don’t care what I am. Feb. 7 is simply not the day to have that discussion.”


So let me get this straight. This is a perfect day to find 500 ways to entice people to drink beer, light beer, vodka and most any other form alcohol comes in. Alcohol that can damage your liver and your brain cells, including the ability to interact with other people responsibly. And don't forgot the drunk drivers that kill over 15,000 people a year in the United State.

But heaven forbid somebody take 30 seconds to suggest it might be a halfway decent idea not to kill people before they're born, trying to prevent well over 1 million abortions in the U.S. alone.

At least this crazy backlash comes as no surprise to Jesus, who in John 15:18-19 said:
"If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you."

No comments:

Post a Comment