Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Evil or Divine

I was recently listening to a song which posed the question, "Are we evil or divine?"

I found the question rather appropriate for these days in which our society is so polarizing.

So many times, which team you root for, which political party you support, which side of town you live on, what kind of music you listen to or even what's in your recycle bin is the difference between being labeled friend or foe, evil or divine.

And the correct answer for both our society and our spiritual lives is often: both. Just listen to Paul in Romans 7:19-25:

For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do—this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.

So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.


Evil or divine? No, evil and divine.

No comments:

Post a Comment