Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Mid-life crisis

So I turned 35 last week. I don't think that's over the hill, but you can at least see the crest of the hill from there. I look back and see a path littered with life's building blocks and obstacles. Ahead? The same shroud of mist as always, keeping me from seeing much further than my next step.

But it is a matter of who directs that step, even takes that step with me that is important. I have no need to go try to buy a Ferrari, not that a sack of pop cans would get me very far, but I do have a need, perhaps more than ever, to know He that walks with me.

And so, you might say, this blog is my mid-life crisis. It's a haven for relating thoughts and feelings. It's a cathartic attempt to bring meaning to my life and those of others, for the internet gives us an extra reach into all the world.

It also forces me to take a longer look sometimes at the sights and sounds that I have in the past let wash over me with no further thought. I will admit it. Not always, if at all, have I spent the amount of time I ought contemplating the mysteries of God.

Maybe that's true for all of us. Maybe it's more true for those of us who have known of God and experienced his presence for all of our lives. We easily take for granted what others may never know.

But there's still the chance to pierce the mist with the Light of the world, both for them and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment