Monday, December 20, 2010

Christmas Amusings

So less than a week before Christmas, and I find myself thinking of the last few such holidays.

A couple of years ago that I woke up on Christmas morning, but instead of unwrapping gifts, I unwrapped my intestines. That is, I got down on my knees and bowed before the porcelain god and puked, yakked or whatever your favorite term may be right in the toilet. (Don't worry, this isn't a lesson in not worshipping false gods, because the porcelain god is not worth the effort, trust me.)

In some ways I was like Ebenezer Scrooge, visited by the ghosts of Christmas breakfast, lunch and dinner past. And when I was through, I was changed because if any man ever wanted to keep his Christmas ham well, it was me.

Well, by the time the next Christmas rolled around, I no longer gave that dreadful experience much thought. But my daughter did. She mentioned it on Christmas Eve, concerned that Daddy not be sick this Christmas. I assured her I would not be (then thought carefully before I ate anything else, lest I be made a liar) and the holiday proceeded as it should have.

But the point was well-made. For all the hoopla and the hype that surrounds Christmas, it's easy to take the entire celebration for granted. As a matter of fact, we may sometimes make ourselves sick on all the sweets that accompany the season both literally and figuratively -- i.e.: shopping, Santa, pageants and presents.

But what we really need to do is appreciate the gift of it simply being Christmas -- the chance to celebrate Jesus' birthday, to celebrate his gift to us and to reciprocate by giving Him the gift of our lives. No tree necessary, no lights required, just us and God.

Because there's nothing greater than his presence being in us -- even if our last meal is not!

No comments:

Post a Comment