Monday, July 5, 2010

Hello again ... Happy 4th!


Whooops! I just realized tonight that I managed to go a whole month without updating this blog. And that's really a shame, because I have some interesting thoughts rattling around this head that I shall share with you sooner or later. Looks like later at this point.

Anyway, just a short thought as the Fourth of July fades into the Fifth. The choir at church this morning sang The Battle Hymn of the Republic, which has long been one of my favorite songs. I recall memorizing the lyrics out of the hymnal during a few select Sunday evening services, but now I'm just telling on myself.

But that song tends to make the chest swell and brings out both patriotic and Christian pride, though I'm not sure that's exactly a good thing.

Our pastor today did a nice job with his phrasing in one part of his message. He was talking about how God was neither liberal nor conservative, Republican or Democrat, American or any other nationality or race. And he added this, forgive my paraphrasing:

"We often ask whether God is on our side, when we should be asking, are we on God's side?"

Hmmm, now that's worth singing "Glory, glory, hallelujah. God's truth is marching on."

No comments:

Post a Comment