Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Feline theology

Cats, I think, are by definition strange. Mine is no different.

He chases bugs, chews strings, meows at the wall, plays dead better than any dog ever could and is given to occasionally doing sprints from end to end of the house.

What that teaches us about God, I'm not sure, other than He must have a sense of humor.

But the other thing about my cat is this. Sometimes he is stand-offish and indifferent, even disappears. Other times he is my best buddy, laying on my lap or rubbing his head on my leg.

It is in those times that I feel a bond, a closeness that allows me to forgive all his other antics -- even if I just squirted him with the water bottle.

And I think it's not so different in our relationship with God. At times were are indifferent to His presence, uninterested in his intrusion.

But when we spend some time with Him, sharing a bond that began when we were created in His image, He loves it. It's then we can feel the gentle caress of His love, the one that says no matter how far you roam and how many times I must discipline you for your sins, You are mine.

Now that just makes me want to purr.

No comments:

Post a Comment