Saturday, July 4, 2009

Proof is in the ...?

It's funny. Not funny haha, more like funny hmmm.

I can watch an entire movie, and when it's over, there's often just one scene that stands out in my memory. Strictly speaking for myself, and not the general lemming-like moviegoer, those scenes are almost never things going ka-blooie. It's those simple, earnest exchanges that stick.

In a scene I was watching tonight, the exchange went something like this, give or take a few words:

MAN: You keep saying, 'Give me proof that you love me.' And I do. Where's your proof that you love me?
WOMAN: All I have is me, that's your proof.
MAN: Proof is not what you say, it's what you do.

Next thing I knew, a couple of Bible passages sprang to mind.

First, James 2:17-18: "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
But someone will say, 'You have faith; I have deeds.' Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do."

Second, it reminds of the exchange between the resurrected Christ and Peter in John 21:15-17: "When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me more than these?'
'Yes, Lord,' he said, 'you know that I love you.'
Jesus said, 'Feed my lambs.'
Again Jesus said, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me?'
He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.'
Jesus said, 'Take care of my sheep.'
The third time he said to him, 'Simon son of John, do you love me?'
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, 'Do you love me?'
He said, 'Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.'
Jesus said, 'Feed my sheep.' "

How many times has God shown us proof of his love, and how much clearer could it be than the cross?

But when it comes to our love in return, the proof is much harder to find. As Jesus pointed out to Peter, and James pointed out to the early church, the proof is in the doing. Not the actual salvation mind you, just the proof.

No comments:

Post a Comment